What You Need and Creative Options:
Aside from gnocchi, everything else you need to make this dish is a pantry staple, from chicken broth to garlic. It also features another Heartland freezer staple: frozen organic petite peas. Although any of our frozen green vegetables would work here, from broccoli florets to spinach.
Adding our frozen organic corn would also add a delightful sweetness to this pasta dish and would be great with some added Hormel Black Label bacon. If you don’t have fresh thyme or parsley on hand, dried will do, but use half as much. While we suggest Parmesan, any hard cheese, like Pecorino Romano or Grana Padano, will work well in this recipe.
Adding protein is a great way to bulk up the meal, and our all-natural chicken tossed in at the end of the cooking is an easy way to do it. You could also add leftover salmon to the mix. For a vegetarian addition, fry up assorted wild mushrooms while browning the gnocchi for a meaty texture without using any meat. Having all the proteins pre-cooked makes this dish perfect for meal planning.
Another way to change up the dish is with finishing touches. A decadent way to top this pasta is with dollops of fresh ricotta that pair well with the lemon in the sauce.
For crunch, you can top the dish with toasted pine nuts. A sprinkle of sumac, a lemony Middle Eastern spice, plays off of the lemon in the sauce the same way the fresh thyme does, so we like to add a little for both flavor and its vibrant purple hue.
All this is to say: The possibilities with the dish are basically endless.
Here are Heartland Foods’ tips and tricks for creating one-pot meals using our farm-to-freezer ingredients:
- Start with a protein. Our grass-fed beef, all-natural chicken breast, and wild-caught shrimp are perfect for adding protein and flavor to your one-pot meals. Try making a classic beef stew or a creamy chicken and vegetable skillet for a satisfying and wholesome meal.
- Add some veggies. Our frozen, fresh organic vegetables, such as broccoli, corn, green beans, butternut squash, and lima beans, are perfect for adding nutrients and texture to your one-pot meals. Don’t be afraid to mix and match different vegetables to create a unique and delicious meal.
- Experiment with spices and herbs: Spices and herbs can add flavor and depth to your one-pot meals. Try using Cajun seasoning for a spicy kick or rosemary and thyme for a savory and herbaceous taste.
- Use your favorite starches. Starches like rice, pasta, and our red-skinned roasted potatoes are perfect for making your one-pot meals more filling and satisfying. Try making a classic mac and cheese or a Cajun shrimp and rice skillet for a delicious and comforting meal.
- Don’t forget the broth. Broth is essential for creating flavorful and satisfying one-pot meals. Try using vegetable broth for a plant-based meal or beef broth for a savory and meaty flavor.
With these tips and tricks, you can create delicious and easy one-pot meals using our farm-to-freezer ingredients. Visit our website to stock up on our farm-fresh ingredients and get creative in the kitchen. Don’t forget to share your favorite one-pot meal creations with us on social media using the hashtag #farmtofreezermeals!